Thursday, October 15, 2009

KimBop and Sushi

KimBop and Sushi by ng @ Whats for Dinner?I grow up eating KimBop. My family would sit around the kitchen table making thick rolls, my little brothers stealing whole rolls before my mom could cut them. Kimbop is Korean for rice and seaweed. It is like a sushi roll, but made with cooked meat(like Spam)and fish cake not raw fish.
KimBop by ng @ Whats for Dinner?Rice:
Use a short grain rice. Wash 2 cups of rice. Bring to boil with 3 cups of water, lower the heat and cover or put the whole lot into a rice maker. Cook for 25-30 min. Add sesame seeds and oil once cool.
Fillings:
Cut cucumber into long thin strips.
Cut green onions into long thin strips.
Cut Dakuan (pickled radish) into long thin strips.
Cut carrots into long strips, boil for 1 min and then fry in some sesame seed oil.
Cook some spinach in sesame oil.
Beat an egg with 1tsp water, fry in oil, making a thin omelet. Cut into Strips.
Fry fish cake in sesame seed oil, cut into long thing strips.
Roll:
Spread 1/2 cup of rice on half of a sheet of seaweed. Lay filling across the rice. Roll.
I don't have any Dakuan or fish cake but it was still yummy.
Sushi by ng @ Whats for Dinner?My housemate made Makizushi (rolled sushi). I made the rice, adding sweet vinegar not sesame oil. She filled them with smoked Salmon, cream cheese, green onion, cucumber and avocado, each roll was different. KimBop and Sushi by ng @ Whats for Dinner?I rolled a few inside out, and covered them in sesame seeds.Cured Irish Rainbow Trout by ng @ Whats for Dinner?The very best thing was this rainbow trout I cured. I used Derry Clarke's recipe for Irish Whiskey Cured Organic Salmon. I changed it a bit, the fish, no dill or white pepper. Lemon not orange. It was so so good. I could eat it everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails